A rating system was created by IMG to determine who should play at the elite level of the sport in the UK. The ratings have been revealed for 2026 and they are as follows.
Category A covers clubs 15 points and over. eight in total. Category B those below that figure, six SL clubs lead the way.All present Super League clubs (division one) are covered in the blue and yellow shading I have created.
The top two Championship (second division) I have shaded in pink. They are some way off the current SL clubs.
The SL clubs are therefore all safe from relegation. The question is, will they be joined by another club from the division below? On the scoring system no. They are supposed to achieve that through points.
The problem I see with the system is that London Broncos have won three competitions in the lower level and are financially sound, yet are nowhere near SL admission via points. I'm also surprised Barrow got more, no disrespect to that fine club.
London may get promoted anyway, as that could be part of a media deal. The issue still remains, could any Championship club ever realistically qualify to be promoted with the IMG points system?

No comments:
Post a Comment