Monday 9 October 2023

Lézignan Sangliers League Placings : 2000-23

FC Lézignan XIII or the Lézignan Sangliers joined the XIII code in 1939, The timing wasn't great as the pro-Nazi Vichy government banned the sport and they were forced to play the XV man game. They got back when they could and resumed their brief Rugby league existence. 

They enjoyed winning titles and trophies in pockets but it was from the 2006-07 season things really kicked off. In 2007-08, they won both the league and grand final. The next year a second in the league and another grand final. To top that off, in 2009-10 and 2010-11 seasons they won the league, cup and grand final treble! 

Things then settled down although a cup trophy in 2014-15 and a league title in 2016-17 was followed by the grand final victory in the 2021 season just passed. Certainly, a club that is at the top of the French XIII scene. They must have a good youth development system in place as well.  

10 comments:

John said...

2001-02 final positions are as follows (I think)
1 S Esteve
2 Villeneuve
3 Pia
4 Toulouse
5 Lezignan
6 S Gaudens
7 Villefranche
8 Carcassonne
9 Limoux
10 Carpentras
11 Albi

Grand Final - Villeneuve 17-0 S Esteve

RayCee said...

Thank you John, I appreciate it. I notice you mentioned 'I think' but I'll accept it as correct and add them as soon as I can to the graphs.

John said...

I like to keep tables of the finishing positions of clubs in different leagues - I've been doing it from the late 1970s. I have the RFL and NRL from the start plus most European football leagues. The French RL has been trickier to collate as it is less frequently in the news and sometimes has conflicting data/information. I have the finishing positions for the following years - 1975, 1986-93 (91 top 8 only) and 1999-2021. As I said I can't swear that they are 100% correct but I am happy with them. Hope this helps.

RayCee said...

I have collated tables for the ten Soccer comps in Europe going back to 1960-61 season, the MLS 1996. I have put that out in various series on my World Football blog. It hasn't been noticed much but then I haven't tried to push it at all and it's only new.

My RL data for France goes back to 1989-90 but is patchy, more so the earlier it is. The NRL back to 1975, the Queensland Cup back to 1996 when it started I believe. The UK 1960-61 but again should go back further.

I find learning about the history in this way broadens my understanding of the game. I appreciate your input and understand any data is only as reliable as the source.

John said...

Nice to see I'm not the only nutter doing this sort of thing. You will find wikipedia is a goldmine for this sort of thing and rsssf.com (or something like that).
I tried to do a table for NZRL but it proved to difficult, lots of city based competitions, changing formats, etc so I gave up in the end.
You are welcome to any of my data if you want - just email me and I can send you what I have.

RayCee said...

Thanks for the offer of help. I'd like to email you but haven't got your address. Mine is rdc1234@gmail.com. If you send an email there, I could reply from there.

John said...

I've just emailed you. I've included a sample of my stats. Let me know if you receive it.

John said...

Sent you an email. Let me know if it arrived.

RayCee said...

Yes, John I got them but without the stats. I did reply to the email, thinking the correspondence came directly from you but now realise they were notifications from this blog.

John said...

OK. I've sent them again to rdc1234@gmail.com. Let's see if they arrive this time. Last time they bounced back because I got the address wrong so I sent them again but still got a weird message back which referred to the original message.