Monday 28 August 2017

The NRL Refereeing 2017 - Credit Where Due


I ran a blog allaboutsport but I decided to change it to RL exclusively. Instead of using the same blog, I deleted the whole thing and started again. In hindsight I should have modified the existing one as starting from scratch takes years to build any following. However, I digress.

At that previous blog site, I strongly criticised the officiating at games in the NRL. Penalty tries just weren't given, ever. All offenses seemed to get put on report. Cheating and foul play was referred to a post match judiciary. The team on the receiving end of indiscretions got no benefit. I made the point that cheating was rewarded and that foul play should be punished during the game.

I'd have to think that my criticism had no bearing on what has happened in 2017 but suddenly the penalty try is alive again. Bravo! Players are being sin binned. Way to go! Immediate punishment is always the most effective. It drives the wrong act home more effectively and rewards the innocent.

I berated the NRL for its poor record of acting swiftly. I now am obliged to give the thumbs up for the turn around. May the innocent be recompensed.

Pic: http://www.theroar.com.au/

No comments: